Life is stressful more so then ever. Most of us spend our days indoors sitting at a computer and are up early and late to bed trying to fit everything in. We don’t get outside much and we don’t always find time to relax. Then we wonder why we are stressed out and feeling down about ourselves!
Here are some foods that can help reduces stress and improve your mood. Of course, while these may help, we should always try to remember that tomorrow is another day and some things can just wait until then. Take some time to just enjoy life. when you can!
- Foods High in vitamin C help lower stress hormones so try orange juice, grapefruit, strawberries and kiwi.
- Magnesium rich foods such as spinach and pumpkin seeds helps produce serotonin which is your feel good hormone.
- Bananas, Brazil nuts, lentils, chicken, and yogurt all help convert tryptophan into the mood-lifting hormone serotonin.
- Dark chocolate — the darker the chocolate you eat, the better. A small square of dark chocolate can cause the brain to release endorphins and boost serotonin levels.
- Oatmeal and whole wheat help keep blood sugar levels balanced, which will improve your mood and stress levels.
- Omega-3 rich food such as salmon, tuna, sardines, rainbow trout and mussels.
- Getting enough sleep is vital for a healthy mind and body, if you can’t sleep try a glass of warm milk before bed.
Get some fresh air, listen to music, exercise, do things that make you happy because it will all improve your mood and reduce stress. Remember: life’s not all doom and gloom. :)