Swelling, along with bruising, is quite common after BOTOX and Juvéderm injections. The swelling can range from very mild and barely noticeable to severe and impossible to hide with makeup. It’s rare to have severe swelling, but even mild to moderate can be distracting for some patients. To control swelling and make it less severe, follow these top 5 tips:
- Prep for your injection by avoiding St John’s Wort, aspirin, vitamin E and other blood thinning supplements and medications. Avoid these for at least a week before your injection, and a week afterward. Doing so will also help bruising. You should consider avoiding alcohol as well.
- Don’t work out vigorously on the day before, the day of and the day after your injection. You can do some light cardio, but it’s best to avoid anything that will strain your body as it could contribute to swelling.
- Consider taking arnica supplements for a few days before your injection. Arnica has been found to reduce swelling and bruising.
- Don’t touch the area that was treated for about a day.
- Right after your injection, try placing a cool compress in the area of your injection sites. This is effective only if you do it immediately after your treatment. Ask us for a cool compress and we can give you one.