The reason that treatments such as Botox® Cosmetic is so popular is because they have real, effective results that do not require surgery or any recovery time.
You can reduce the risk of some complications by:
- Consulting with your doctor before taking any prescriptions, over-the-counter medications, supplements, or herbal preparations.
- Certain medications can interact with Botox injections and cause serious side effects.
- Notifying your doctor immediately of any concerns, such as pain, eye or vision problems, weakness, bleeding, fever, and difficulty swallowing or breathing
- Telling all members of your care team if you have any allergies
- Telling all your healthcare providers, including your dentist, that you have had Botox injections
How do I prepare for my Botox® injection?
This is a very important question that we get asked at Skin Vitality all the time! As the top provider of injections in Canada we are qualified to answer any questions to put your mind at ease.
You can prepare for a Botox® injection by:
- Answering all questions about your medical history and medications. This includes prescriptions, over-the-counter drugs, herbal treatments, and vitamins. It is a good idea to carry a current list of your medical conditions, medications, and allergies at all times.
- Following your doctor’s instructions exactly. This may include not consuming alcohol for two days, aspirin products for two weeks, and certain other medications that can increase bleeding and bruising.
Most people find that talking about Botox® takes far longer than the procedure itself. Most patients choose to have topic anesthetic ointment applied to the areas which will be treated in order to dull sensation in the area. Others prefer nothing at all. You will have the opportunity to choose before your treatment.
Just prior to injection, any topical anesthetic ointment that has been applied will be gently removed and an ice pack applied to the area. After a short time, typically measured in seconds, the ice pack will be removed, the treatment area will cleaned with alcohol or an antiseptic such as betadine, and Botox® (or otherneuromodulator) injections will be performed.
Questions to ask?
You may also think of other questions after your appointment. Contact your doctor with any concerns and questions before Botox® injections and between appointments.
It is also a good idea to bring a list of questions to your appointments. Common questions include:
- Am I a good candidate for Botox® injections? Why or why not?
- What are my other options for treating wrinkles and lines?
- What cosmetic results can I expect?
- How often will I need Botox® injections?
- How long will the procedure take?
- How should I take my medications? What medications should I avoid?
- When should I follow up with you?
- How should I contact you? Ask for numbers to call during and after regular hours.
What can I expect after my Botox® injection?
Knowing what to expect after a Botox injection can help you get back to your everyday life as soon as possible.
What results can I expect after Botox® injection?
Results of a Botox® injection will vary from person to person and do not occur immediately. You should begin to see results within one to two days after your treatment. Your results may continue to improve for the next two weeks.
Your results should last three to four months. At that point, your lines and wrinkles will gradually return to their normal state. Talk to your doctor about a regular treatment plan to provide continuous results. We may change the dose of Botox® to achieve the best results for you.
When can I go home?
Most patients go home and return to everyday activities right after the procedure.
Generally, you will be able to leave the office within minutes of your treatment. Many patients choose to return to work, go shopping, have lunch, attend social engagements (dinners, lunches, parties, etc.), or are on the way home. If you wear makeup, you can reapply or touch up make up before you leave the Skin Vitality Medical Clinic.
Skin Vitality does not recommend exercising or lying down (flat on a bed) for four hours after a Botox® treatment. In addition, if you have Botox® around the eyes, you should avoid vigorously rubbing towards your eyes for a few days after your treatment. If you are concerned about possible bruising, you can also continue taking Arnica Montana after your treatment for two days, or as long as any bruising persists.
Most treatments require three to five days results begin to show, except in the case of treatment of masseters. For these muscles, the goal is to reduce their overall size. Therefore, results may not be seen for several months when using Botox® to thin the face. For treatments done in other areas, most see results within one, and very occasionally two, weeks.
In order to maintain your results, be sure to schedule your next treatment session before you leave the office.
When should I call regarding any concerns?
It is important to keep your follow-up appointments after a Botox® injection. Contact your doctor for questions and concerns between appointments. Call immediately if you have:
- Difficulty breathing—call 911
- Fatigue, weakness, or loss of strength
- New or unexplained symptoms
- Pain including neck pain or headache
- Pain, redness, swelling, bruising or bleeding at the injection site
- Rash, hives or itching
- Vision and eye problems including dry eyes, double vision, blurred vision, drooping eyelids, and decreased eyesight
Skin Vitality is the top provider of Botox Cosmetic®, Juvéderm® & Soft Lift™ treatments in Canada. We perform more of these treatments than any other doctors or nurses in the country, consistently achieving natural beautiful results. Whether you’re looking for non-surgical body contouring, laser skin tightening, or fillers and injectibles like BOTOX COSMETIC® or Juvéderm™, our experts are here for you.