Botox Lip Flips are a quick, nonsurgical cosmetic treatment in which a medical professional uses a small amount of Botox to make your upper lip appear fuller, by preventing it from curling under. Lasting between 10 to 20 minutes, it involves the injection of Botox into your Cupid’s bow, which is in the middle of your upper lip, and into the corners of your mouth.
The injection temporarily relaxes the muscles around your lip. This causes the part of your upper lip that’s inside your mouth to “flip” upward and outward, giving your lip a fuller appearance, lasting up to 12 weeks.
Candidates for the Treatment Include Those Who:
- Are hoping to achieve fuller lips without dermal fillers
- Think their upper lip “disappears” when they smile
- Want their smile to appear less gummy, which is when your smile shows more of your gums than you’d like
Difference Between a Botox Lip Flip and Dermal Fillers?
Lip flips and dermal fillers both result in fuller-looking lips. But the procedures differ. While lip flips only appear to make lips plumper, dermal fillers actually do make lips fuller. In a filler treatment, a medical professional will inject your lips with a substance made mostly of hyaluronic acid, which helps give your skin structure and a hydrated appearance. On the other hand, lip flips use a small amount of Botox to relax the muscles around your upper lip so that it flips upward. This makes your lip look fuller, but the actual volume doesn’t increase; it just gets rearranged. See the subtle, yet beautiful results of a Botox Lip Flip:
What is the Lip Flip Treatment Like?
Before the Treatment:
- For 3 to 4 days before the procedure, you’ll need to avoid alcohol and blood thinners like aspirin, which can make swelling worse
During the Treatment:
- Takes around 10 minutes
- Doctor likely won’t numb your lips beforehand, because the procedure isn’t very painful
- The doctor will inject Botox into the center and corners of your upper lip
After the Treatment:
- Avoid smoking in the days after the procedure as it may increase the risk of infection
- Refrain from rubbing or massaging your lips, which can cause the Botox to spread to the surrounding areas
- If you can, try to sleep on your back for a few days so your lips do not press against your pillow
How Long Until I See My Lip Flip Results?
Patients can expect to see the initial results within a few days and continual improvement for several days after that. You can see the full effect of a lip flip approximately 10 to 14 days after the treatment.