To protect your sensitive skin, you need to cleanse, moisturize and use an exfoliator regularly, just like for any other skin type. But there are some everyday habits that could be bad for your skin, and they’re particularly damaging if you have sensitive skin. Here are five daily things that may be sabotaging your skin:
1. Not sleeping enough. Insufficient sleep can elevate the cortisol, aka the stress hormone, which can lead to skin aging. This worsens inflammatory conditions like psoriasis and acne, according to a study published in the journal Clinics in Dermatology. A poor night’s sleep can lead to wrinkles, dark circles under the eyes and brown spots, so try to get as much quality sleep as you can!
2. The cold. During the winter, your skin becomes dry, cracked, itchy and red. Central heating reduces humidity in the air and that’s why you should invest in a humidifier.
3. Hot showers. Hot water and the chlorine in water can worsen your sensitive skin as well. Avoid taking long, hot showers, even if you’re tempted to!
4. Consuming too much sugar. If you are prone to rosacea or acne, sugary foods may aggravate redness and irritation.
5. Stress. Stress can cause an imbalance of hormones in your body that makes skin more sensitive. It can also aggravate rosacea, eczema and psoriasis.