Flu season is upon us and we want to help you avoid getting sick. Protect yourself from getting the flu by following these 5 tips:
1. Before you eat, when you come home from going out, and after touching or handling things that many other people have also touched (e.g. doorknobs, keyboards, ATMs), wash your hands thoroughly with warm water and soap. This is an easy thing to do and one of the most effective ways to help prevent the spread of the flu and other diseases.
2. When you sleep, your body repairs itself and your immune system is restored. When you’re sleep deprived, you’re more prone to getting sick, so make sure you get at least about 8 hours every night.
3. Did you know alcohol weakens your immune system? Limit alcohol consumption during flu season so your body can better fend off sickness.
4. Stress is yet another factor that inhibits the optimal function of your immune system. Take a breather break when you’re at work – close your eyes, imagine you’re in a tropical paradise, and breathe deeply to melt your stress away. You’ll feel instantly refreshed.
5. Help your body function well by eating a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruit and lean protein. You’ll be stronger and healthier. Avoid empty calories like sugar, which has been found to be another immune system suppressant (and it can also contribute to the formation of wrinkles faster through a process known as glycation!).
Follow these tips and you may even be able to avoid getting the flu altogether!