We all know that it’s recommended to drink 8 glasses of water a day. But, after my coffee, protein shake, and possibly tea, I don’t have much room left or willpower to drink water. So I have decided to tell you the 8 best reasons why you should switch to drinking water and lemon instead of all those other beverages.
1. Boosts your Immune System
Lemons are high in Vitamin C and potassium. Vitamin C is great for fighting off colds and potassium stimulates brain & nerve function and helps control blood pressure.
2. Balances PH
Lemons are an incredibly alkaline food, believe it or not. Yes, they are acidic on their own, but inside our bodies they’re alkaline (the citric acid does not create acidity in the body once metabolized). As you wellness warriors know, an alkaline body is really the key to good health.
3. Helps with Weight Loss
Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings. It also has been shown that people who maintain a more alkaline diet lose weight faster. Dehydration can slow your metabolism by 3%! Sip water throughout the day to prevent this.
4. Clears Skin
The Vitamin C helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes. Lemon water purges toxins from the blood, which helps to keep skin clear.
5. Aids Digestion
Lemons are high in minerals and vitamins and help loosen toxins in the digestive track.
6. Body Temperature
Water regulates your body temperature. It keeps you warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
Your brain is 90% water. Headaches are the number one sign that your brain is dehydrated, followed by fatigue and depression.
8. Weight Loss
Everyday you lose three or more quartz of water! You lose half a cup through the soles of your feet. Another 2-3 cups are lost from breathing, and perspiration accounts for another 2-3 cups. The remaining 6-8 cups are lost in your urine. When you are not taking in enough water, all the water loss functions in your body close down. You don’t breathe out as much, you don’t sweat as much, and you don’t lose as much in your urine… and you recycle dirty water.
Try some of these Detox Water Recipes:
Lemon Mint Cucumber Water
Makes 1 gallon-size pitcher
- 12 cups of water (3 quarts)
- 2 to 3 lemons, thinly sliced (you can also substitute limes or mix it up…use a lemon/lime combination–using organic lemons or limes is best)
- 1 small cucumber or 1/2 of a medium to large cucumber, preferably organic, thinly sliced
- 10 to 15 mint leaves. preferably organic
Rinse lemons and cucumbers very well before slicing; slice thinly. Add lemons, cucumber, and mint to pitcher. Cover with water and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight (the flavor will be stronger if you refrigerate overnight, but I like the lighter flavor, too). Pour in a large glass over some ice…it’s very refreshing! This water tastes best the day or day after you make it.
Blueberry Iced Green Tea
This is my personal favourite mix.
- 7 cups water
- 4 green tea bags
- 1 cup blueberry syrup or fresh blueberries
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and remove from heat.
- Mix in 1/2 cup of room temperature water, add the tea bags and steep for 10 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags and add the remaining water.
- Mix in the blueberry syrup until it reaches the desired sweetness.
- Chill in the fridge, add ice and enjoy.
What do you drink in your water?
Share your comments and feedback!